Step 2 Clinical Knowledge
- Rigorous, Full-time Self-Study while Simultaneously Obtaining Life Support Certifications. A minimum of 8 hours a day of self-study or the equivalent of 50 hours per week for 6 months of M-F attendance at UCLA’s Family Health Center where our IMG’s participate in self-study and group study sessions. Please note: From time to time, live clinical opportunities to observe physicians or residents examining patients at UCLA’s Family Health Center might arise.
- Life Support Certification. You will be enrolled to Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics (ALSO) Basic Life Support (BLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support Courses (PALS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) to obtain certifications in each of these areas required by all US Medical Residency programs. All of these courses will be paid by the program.
- A scholarship stipend of $1,500 per month for six months will be provided for each Program B participant. You will be responsible to finance your study time beyond the program’s allotted six month period. Thus, budget your finances and the intensity of your study time accordingly in order to meet your goal to successfully pass Step 1.
- Didactic Clerkship. You will participate in the required Ambulatory Internal/Family Medicine eight (8) week required didactic clerkship with medical students and faculty as preparation for USMLE Step 2 CK at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.
- Prepare for the USMLE CS by participating in the Observed Simulated Clinical Examination (OSCE) offered during the above required clerkship. Training will be reinforced by practicing with Program C IMGs and faculty at UCLA’s Family Health Center.
- Grand Rounds. You will attend UCLA Family Medicine Residency Program Grand Rounds every Wednesdays to reinforce your study material for Step 2 CK.
- Submit PTAL application to the MBC upon successful completion and receipt of USMLE test scores for Step-1 and Step-2 CK. Review by the MBC ranges from 90 to 120 days.
- Concurrent enrollment in the IMG focused ESL course at L.A. City College. Enrollment and contact information: Darren Kelley.
Updated October 2010