Our curriculum is comprised of three programs and is sequential. However, direct entry into either Programs B, or C, is contingent on USMLE and English diagnostic examination scores.
- Pre-Preparatory Courses - Basic Science Review for USMLE Step 1 and English for Health Professionals
- Program A - Basic Sciences/USMLE Step 1 Preparation
- Program B - Clinical Science/USMLE Step 2 CK and CS Preparation
- Program C - Clinical Observership
Pre-Preparatory Courses - Basic Science Review
for USMLE Step 1 and English for Health Professionals
Location: Long Beach, CA (Basic Sciences) and LA City College
Hours and Meeting Days:
- Basic Sciences Course - 25 hours/week for 14 weeks, Monday - Friday
- English for Health Professionals - 3 hours/week for 14 weeks, Saturday
Location: Kaplan Center, 277 S. Lake Ave, Pasadena, CA
- Prepare for Program A. Most students require at least 6 months of intensive basic science preparation prior to enrolling Program A.
- Commit to Rigorous, Full-time Study. A minimum of eight hours a day of classroom and self-study or 50 hours per week.
- Obtain Tuition and Educational Materials. Kaplan tuition and educational materials will be paid by the program.
- Successfully Pass USMLE Step 1. Prepare for Program A, study full time and plan your budget for living expenses for at least 9 months. The average UCLA IMG Program A scholar complete Program A in 9 months.
Location: UCLA Family Health Center, 1920 Colorado Ave, Santa Monica, CA
- Commit to Rigorous, Full-time Study. A minimum of eight hours a day of classroom and self-study or 50 hours per week for six months.
- Join Individual and group study sessions.
- Complete Pre-residency Life Support Certifications. Obtain certification in the following: Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics (ALSO), Basic Life Support (BLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support Courses (PALS), and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) as required by Family Medicine residency programs; these courses will be paid by the program.
- Earn a Scholarship Stipend. A stipend of $1,000 per month for six months will be provided to UCLA scholars in good standing.
- Participate in Observed Simulated Clinical Examination (OSCE). Prepare for the USMLE Step 2 CS at the UCLA Family Health Center.
- Attend Grand Rounds at UCLA. Attend Wednesday morning Family Medicine Grand Rounds at the UCLA/Santa Monica Medical Center.
- 60 hours per week for three months that may include some overnight calls.
- Attend the weekly UCLA Family Medicine Grand Rounds and other required didactic sessions.
- A scholarship stipend of $1,500 per month for three months will be provided for each Program C participant.
- Concurrent enrollment in the English for Health Professionals at LA City College.
- Complete the ERAS application, including the personal statement prior to November 1st.
- UCLA Letter of Recommendation: For applicants who meet the program’s criteria for advancement to a California Family Medicine Residency program, at least two letters of recommendation from the UCLA IMG program will be sent to the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
Updated July 2016